Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Prepartum Depression

We've all heard of postpartum depression but many might not be familiar with prepartum depression.  The signs and symptoms can be the same, but occurring during pregnancy.

I feel like I have this.

It's difficult to talk about it because I don't care to share something so personal, but I hoping by talking about it this will help me to cope with it.

This pregnancy hasn't been easy.  Not so much physically, but emotionally.  I haven't been feeling all that great.  I'm irritable, depressed mood, lack of interest in things, little to no motivation, mild insomnia, changes in appetite, and low frustration tolerance.  Now these are all probably totally typical symptoms for a pregnant lady chasing after a toddler all day, yes it is.  But it's not me.  I know how I normally feel and this isn't it.  I can tell myself that I feel this way due to a chemical imbalance in my brain due to the change in hormones caused by pregnancy.  Yes.  That's the rational side, but it doesn't help me to cope with it.  It just explains it.  This is good because it's what I tell Justin so he doesn't take it personally.  Poor guy works so hard to make me smile or laugh, he's my rock right now and I love him for that.

I just don't feel right in this pregnancy.  I'm almost 10 weeks.  I'm hoping that things start to change around 12 weeks, after the first trimester.

I've talked to Justin about the way I've been feeling.  I'm starting to go on walks by myself, which seem to help.  I'm planning on doing prenatal yoga again.  And a few other things.

Recently we've done a lot of really fun things.  We had a great trip to Monterey, we've had friends over and gotten together with family.  We've really been spending a lot of time with Justin's brother and his family.  In the moment I'm happy and relaxed, but then the day ends and I'm back in my mood.  Good things don't last very long.  We'll be heading to Mammoth over the holiday weekend and I'm looking forward to that.

I was chatting with my brother-in-law last night when they came over for dinner and a swim.  I was telling him how it feels like my life has stopped.  I love being home with Kara and taking time off to raise her.  Yet at the same time it's been a real adjustment from the pace I'm used to keeping.  I've always been looking in the future.  Next class, next school, next program, next job.  Always looking ahead and working really hard to get there.  Now, the days are the same.  There's not much change to them.

With the summer coming to a close, I am looking forward to getting back into a routine.  Kara will start her gym class and school again.  So that will be good.


2 comments:

  1. So sorry you've been feeling this way! You could try to get a babysitter (or a preschool) for Kara a couple of mornings a week so that you have some time for yourself? Being a full time mom isn't easy and even less so when all your energy is being drained to your tummy. It's ok to get extra help :)

    You could also call your obgyn to see if there's something they can give you? It could even be as simple as getting some iron supplements, those help me a ton when I start feeling too exhausted to tolerate anyone or anything.

    Hope the symptoms let up soon!
    Ariane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Those are really good ideas, especially the iron. I had to take iron supplements with Kara so it's been a problem in the past. Thank you for your kind thoughts and words.

      Delete